Alex Lewis – Artist-in-Conference
Alex Lewis is an emerging artist from Canberra and is participating in the ICOMOS Conference 2013 as part of the Centenary of Canberra’s Artist in Conference program.
Alex completed studies at The Australian National University School of Art and has exhibited both locally and interstate. His work finds its inspiration in architectural fragments that are found in the urban landscape, particularly modernist structures in Canberra. The fragments are often representations of balconies and staircases, stripped back to their bare elements and transformed so that we are encouraged to view the familiar, built environment in new ways.
His pieces are made either using the traditional etching printing medium or using contemporary technologies such as 3D printing and laser-cutting. These emerging mediums take a leading role in Alex’s work as he seeks to relate humanity’s technological future to the utopian structures of the past and present.
Alex is a current studio resident of Canberra Contemporary Art Space and Megalo Print Studio.
Visit the Alex Lewis website.
- 2012, Bachelor of Visual Arts (Honours), First Class, School of Art, Australian National University (ANU)
- 2011, July, Internship at Chiang Mai Art on Paper, Thailand, with Kitikong Tilokwattanotai
- Selected group exhibitions
- 2013, (upcoming, October) CCAS Studio Residents Exhibition, Photospace Gallery, ANU School of Art, Canberra, ACT
- 2013, Under Pressure, Gallery 43, Wagga Wagga, NSW
- 2013, Control and Contain, Canberra Contemporary Art Space (CCAS), Manuka, Canberra, ACT
- 2013, Burnie Print Prize 2013 (shortlisted), Burnie Regional Art Gallery, Burnie, TAS
- 2012, Graduating Exhibition, ANU School of Art, Canberra, ACT
- 2012, Fremantle Arts Centre Print Award 2012 (finalist), Fremantle Arts Centre, WA
- 2012, Fragments, Canberra Contemporary Art Space (CCAS), Manuka, Canberra, ACT
- 2012, RISE, Chrissy Cotter Gallery, Camperdown, NSW
- 2012, Canberra Contemporary Art Space (CCAS) Studio Residency Award, Awarded as part of the ANU Emerging Artist Support Scheme
- 2012, Megalo Print Studio and Gallery Studio Residency Award, Awarded as part of the ANU Emerging Artist Support Scheme
- 2012, ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences Honours Scholarship
- 2012, ANU Emerging Artist Support Scheme Honours Scholarship
- Molonglo Group, Canberra
- University and private collections in Japan and Saudi Arabia
- Various private collections